A judge dismisses Wade Robson’s lawsuit, claims that choreographer had no proof that the estate enabled allege sexual abuse by King of Pop.
Wade Robson’s lawsuit was filed to address allege sexual abuse by Michael Jackson when Robson was a child. Robson’s sexual abuse allegations were chronicled in the high-profile 2019 HBO documentary Leaving Neverland. Wade Robson’s 2013 lawsuit alleged that Jackson sexually abused him for almost ten years, and his companies MJJ Productions and MJJ did not safeguard him during his childhood.
Statue of Limitations regarding Wade Robson’s lawsuit
Wade Robson’s lawsuit was initially filed in 2017 but lost. Judge Mitchell Beckloff previously dismissed Wade Robson’s lawsuit in December 2017 because it filed outside the statute of limitations. Recently, California enacted a law that extended the statue of limitations from 26 to 40. This law allowed Wade Robson another opportunity to appeal the ruling.
The Judge’s Ruling
However, Judge Mark A. Young ruled in favor of MJJ Productions and MJJ Ventures, Monday. The judge approved the Jackson estate’s request to dismiss Wade Robson’s 2013 lawsuit. Judge Young ruled because Robson couldn’t prove the companies had the ability to control Jackson’s conduct. Also, Judge Young said there was nothing suggesting that the companies had “any fiduciary duty” to protect Robson as a child from the pop singer.
The Lawyers Speak
Vince Finaldi, Robson’s Attorney”…Dangerous Precendent that Would Leave Children in the Entainment Industry Vulnerable…”
Vince Finaldi, said in a statement to EW that “the ruling had fatal flaws.” Finaldi said they would appeal the decision to the Court of Appeal and, if needed, to the Supreme Court. Finaldi added that if the decision stands, it would create a risky precedent that puts many children in the entertainment industry at risk of sexual abuse by powerful individuals. Finaldi emphasized the importance of protecting all children and expressed their determination to continue fighting for their safety.
Johnathan Steinspir, attorney for Jackon’s Estate-
“…Robson’s Claims Have No Merit.”
According to Jonathan Steinsapir, Robson has spent the past eight years making baseless claims in multiple lawsuits against Michael Jackson’s estate and affiliated companies. Steinsapir stated that despite Robson’s extensive efforts to support his claims through numerous depositions and document presentations, a judge has once again deemed his claims without merit and dismissed his latest case without the need for a trial.