A dramatic scene in the streets of Studio City, Calif. The ex-boxing champion was handcuffed and escorted away by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents. The detainment occurred four days after his high-profile loss to Jake Paul in Anaheim, where a unanimous decision rendered a dazed 39-year-old; first in the ring and then through the eyes of the law. The timing was striking: a fighter who had once held the WBC middleweight title, facing deportation to Mexico where he was charged with serious criminal charges.
Julio César Chávez Jr. is the son of the great Julio César Chávez Sr. and was born February 16, 1986, in Culiacán, Sinaloa. With a record that stands at 54 wins against 7 losses with 1 draw and a total of 34 knockouts, he forged his own niche as a champion at the middleweight division for the period between 2011 and 2012. However, his career is spotted with controversies DUI convictions, failed drug tests, and an arrest in the year 2023 for possessing illegal weapons in the city of Los Angeles. Now his troubles with the law are far from the ring.
Chávez Jr.’s legal woes began with a tourist visa. He entered the U.S. legally in August 2023 on a B2 visa, which expired in February 2024. He remained in the country unlawfully, applying for permanent residency in April 2024 through his marriage to Frida Chávez, a U.S. citizen. But the application raised red flags. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) flagged false statements and ties to organized crime. In December 2024, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services labeled him an “egregious public safety threat.” Despite this, he was paroled back into the U.S. on January 4, 2025, at the San Ysidro border a decision DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin later criticized:
“It is shocking the previous administration flagged this criminal illegal alien as a public safety threat but chose not to prioritize his removal and let him leave and COME BACK into our country.”
A new visa violation surfaced on June 27, 2025, prompting ICE to act swiftly. Now, Chávez Jr. faces “expedited removal,” an administrative deportation process that bypasses lengthy court hearings, sending him back to Mexico to face justice.
The most explosive accusations are from DHS, which claims Chávez Jr. is sought in Mexico for organized crime and dealing in firearms, ammunition, and explosives. They associate him with the Sinaloa Cartel, a notorious narcotics trafficking organization that the U.S. has classed as a Foreign Terrorist Organization. These doubts are stoked by his wife having previously married Edgar Guzmán López, the son of cartel kingpin Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán. A Mexican arrest warrant issued in March 2023 supports the claims, though no public legal documents have surfaced.
Chávez Jr.’s attorney, Michael Goldstein, vehemently denies the accusations.
“The current allegations are outrageous and simply another headline to terrorize the community,”
Goldstein said,
While Chávez Jr. prepares for deportation, there are questions about what lies ahead for him in Mexico. Mexico’s Attorney General’s Office said it confirmed the warrant but provided no public statements regarding extradition or indictment. His case highlights U.S.-Mexico cooperation, celebrity justice, and the intricacies of immigration enforcement. How could a flagged “threat” be allowed back into the U.S.? How will Mexico treat his return? Until then, the ex-champ’s future is left dangling in the air, a far cry from the glory days.


