Introduction Investor and reality TV star of Shark Tank Kevin O’Leary went so far as to make a daring cash offer of $20 billion for the purchase of the U.S. operations of TikTok. Teaming up with Frank McCourt, former owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers and founder of Project Liberty, O’Leary throws his hat into the mix as there develops a growing wall of national security concerns over the popular video-sharing app, teamed with a federal directive pending for Byte Dance-TikTok’s Chinese parent company-to divest its U.S. assets no later than January 19, 2025. In this regard, the bold move could be a solution to TikTok’s uncertain future in the U.S., driven by fears of data sharing with the Chinese authorities.
Background: As an app, TikTok has grown phenomenally on America’s social media scene, with more than 170 million users in the U.S., amid extraordinary scrutiny from the U.S. government over its data privacy practices. President Joe Biden signed a bipartisan law forcing ByteDance, the Chinese parent company of TikTok, accused of sharing American users’ data with the Chinese government, to sell off TikTok’s U.S. operations-or face an outright ban. The Supreme Court also recently sustained that law, further compelling a reason for ByteDance to comply or suffer potentially disastrous consequences.
Bid name: “The People’s Bid for TikTok” O’Leary and McCourt, respectively, have a USD20 billion proposal dubbed “The People’s Bid for TikTok“; these focus on making sure the business model of the site is overhauled. First, according to this vision, there is decentralizing TikTok-think more in the direction of giving users an opt-in into either sharing personal data or not. And for the very first time, being actually able to make money off data. To put it succinctly, the consortium led by McCourt would reposition TikTok by making it less vulnerable to hack and better suited to cater to users regarding the latest trend in privacy concerns-much more safety conscious.
“Right now, US$20 billion is on the table—cash, cash, US$20 billion,” O’Leary said in an interview, emphasizing how serious the bid was and he is about solving the national security vulnerabilities with TikTok.
Urgency and Risks Time is running out for ByteDance as the January 19, 2025, deadline looms.
The stakes are high: service providers hosting TikTok beyond the deadline face fines of $5,000 per user per day, which could scale past $1 billion daily. The Supreme Court’s decision has turned up the heat further, leaving the ByteDance group with little room for maneuver. O’Leary emphasized the risks: “Nobody knows the extent of which the algorithm provides data. It’s been highly speculated, but it’s not worth the risk.”
Challenges to the Deal Despite the alluring offer, the road to acquisition is paved with challenges:
ByteDance, on its part, has always been resistant to the idea of divesting TikTok and has moved the Supreme Court against the divestment order.
Algorithm Export Restrictions: The recommendation algorithm, more or less the lifeblood of TikTok’s success, is under Chinese export controls, and a sale will make things more complex. Regulatory and International Challenges: The deal needs regulatory clearance and cooperation of Chinese authorities, which is quite uncertain considering the global investments by ByteDance.
Kevin O’Leary weighs in. O’Leary has been vocal to find a solution that’ll keep TikTok operating in the U.S. while providing security for the nation. “There’s a reason the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the ban. It’s not worth taking the risk,” he said. He further reiterated the financial and reputational risks for those service providers who would fail to comply with the federal mandate.


