Johnny Depp in Talks to Return as Jack Sparrow in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean 6’

Johnny Depp is in talks to return as Captain Jack Sparrow in the sixth Pirates of the Caribbean film, producer Jerry Bruckheimer confirmed this weekend.

Bruckheimer made the comments during a red carpet interview at Disney’s D23 expo in Anaheim, California, on Sunday, August 16, 2026.

“We’re talking with Johnny, we’re working on a screenplay, and hopefully we can get this done,”

he told Deadline after receiving a Disney Legends honor.

The update marks the strongest public signal yet that Depp could reprise the role nearly a decade after the last installment. Sources close to the project told the outlet that the next chapter will evolve the franchise by centering a new protagonist, with Sparrow appearing in a major supporting role rather than as the sole lead.

Margot Robbie has long been linked to the project. Bruckheimer previously confirmed he had met with the actress and that she remains involved in some capacity. Earlier development tracks included a potential female-led spin-off that later merged into plans for a sixth mainline entry — a sub-thread that has fueled wide online speculation over who might lead the next chapter.

Depp, 63, originated Captain Jack Sparrow in 2003’s Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and led the subsequent four films. The franchise has earned roughly $4.5 billion worldwide across five movies. The most recent entry, 2017’s Dead Men Tell No Tales, grossed $795.9 million and remains the lowest earner in the series.

Bruckheimer, 82, has produced every film in the series since the beginning. Last year he told Entertainment Weekly he had already spoken with Depp about returning and believed the actor would come back if the material worked for him. The exchange happened during a year that saw a fresh crop of Disney Legends honored across the studio’s franchises.

“If he likes the way the part’s written, I think he would do it,”

Bruckheimer said at the time.

“It’s all about what’s on the page.”

Screenplay work has continued through multiple writing teams over the years. Early efforts involved Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick. Later drafts drew on contributions from Craig Mazin and longtime franchise writer Ted Elliott. More recent reports placed Oscar nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns in talks to shape the current version.

Depp’s relationship with the studio has been complicated. During his 2022 defamation trial against Amber Heard, he testified that Disney had approached him about helping write the sixth film before later distancing itself amid the public controversy surrounding the couple’s relationship. He also stated under oath that no amount of money would bring him back to the role at that time — as Yahoo Entertainment’s reporting on the 2022 testimony documented. The chapter has continued to evolve since the trial verdict, and both sides have left the door open.

No deal has been finalized, and Disney has not issued an official cast announcement. Bruckheimer’s remarks at D23 represent the clearest indication to date that negotiations are active and that the creative team is advancing a script designed to bring Sparrow back into the fold alongside newer characters — the same conclusion SuperHeroHype drew from the red-carpet conversation.

The sixth film remains without a firm release date or director confirmation. Fans of the series have waited nine years for new adventures on the high seas. Whether Depp ultimately signs on will depend on the finished pages and the terms under discussion.

Latest Posts

[democracy id="16"] [wp-shopify type="products" limit="5"]